Preston's 1860 directory contained the names of forty local Cradley residents.
CRADLEY, a populous parish, formerly belonging to the borough of Halesowen, is situate 2½ miles east of Stourbridge, 3 south from Dudley, and 9½ from Birmingham. The village lies a little off the main road; it is in the diocese of Worcester, and in the Hundred of Halfshire, with a population, in 1851, of 3,383. It forms part of a manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in several branches. The soil in general is a rich clay. The land on the north and west of NETHEREND (a part of the township of Cradley parish), abound with coal and ironstone.
A court baron and court leet are held at Cradley, on the last Tuesday in October, at which the steward presides as judge, assisted by a jury. Within the township are five places of worship, belonging respectively to the Church of England, benefice valued at £151 per annum, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Halesowen; the Unitarians, the Baptists, the Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists; attached to the first is a National school, under government inspection. That belonging to the Unitarians is supported partly by endowment and partly by an annual collection. The number of free boys is 30, of girls 12.
Here are manufacturers of iron, chains, sword blades, files, rasps, vices, anvils, hammers, nails, bayonets, anchors, chain cables, bellows, felt hats, fire bricks, hats, and woollen yarn.
One mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic vale, agreeably diversified with plantations of firs, is a spring of salt water, called the Lady Well, highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities, and in summer it is very much frequented. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor. In 1852, a grant of land was made by the sons of the late Rev. George Biggs (a former vicar of the parish of Halesowen), for the enlargement of the burial ground of this parish.
LETTERS arrive from Stourbridge at 9 a.m., and are dispatched at 5 p.m.
Cochrane Rev. William, Unitarian minister, Netherend
Adams Jabez, publican, Overend
Attwood, James, butcher
Attwood, William, shopkeeper
Bate Henry, foreman brickmaker, Lower Delph Works
Beasley John, Blue Ball inn
Bishop and Patshall
Bloomer Josiah, Robin Hood
Clemm Thomas, Bridge inn
Clewes Thomas, shopkeeper, and mop maker, Park side
Fellows J., miller
Fellows Thomas, Old Mogul, Netherend
Gill Daniel, shopkeeper
Grove John Haden, grocer, Colly gate
Harper, Joseph, beer retailer, Colly lane
Hawkeswood James, farmer, Overend
Hawkeswood Joseph, beer retailer
Hawkeswood H., Sun inn, Overend
Hingley Noah and Sons, chain manufacturers
Hingley James, butcher
Hodgetts, woollen yarn spinner
Homer Joseph, solicitor, Cradley park house; Office at Brierley hill
Harper and Moore, coal masters, &c.
Hughes, Isaiah, Holly Bush
Humfrey J., solicitor
Jones William, maltster, Netherend
King Brothers, brick makers
Leonard Samuel, May Pole
Lester Thomas, maltster, Colly gate
Mole W., blacksmith
Oliver Edwin, road contractor, Cradley park
Rock Brothers, nail factors
Smith Samuel, grocer
Stephens John, chain manufacturer, Netherend
Thompson Rev. J. H. incumbent
Tate Abel, publican
Tibbetts J., shopkeeper
Williams Eliza, beer retailer, Netherend
Wyer E., painter and glazier
Wythes J., draper and grocer