×
Create a new article
Write your page title here:
We currently have 24 articles on Cradley Links. Type your article name above or create one of the articles listed here!



    Cradley Links

    Field and place names give a valuable insight into Cradley's past. Using the information provided in the 1782 and 1785 surveys, together with the Richard Brettell's Estates Map (circa 1800) and the Tithe Map of 1843, Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt have produced tables which identify Cradley field names, their derivation and their location in present day terms.


    Cradley Links wishes to record our sincere thanks to Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt for their generous permission to reproduce these excerpts from their book, "The History of Cradley: A Survey of Cradley and the Enclosure Book".


    1. Open Field System

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cradley Upper /Over (Woe) Field Oldnall Road, Foxcote Lane, Parish Boundary Part of the medieval open field system.

    Woe (or Woo) derives from the Old English 'woh' = crooked

    Cradley Lower/Nether (Woe) Field Foxcote Lane,Two Gates, Lutley Gutter Earliest reference to Nether Woefield is in an indenture between the Earl of Ormond and Thomas Parkes of Cradley, dated 1510.
    Colman Field Two Gates, Drews Holloway, Colman Hill Part of the medieval open field system.
    Burfield Colley Lane,Slade Road Part of the medieval open field system.

    Burr = Flower head with hooks and prickles. Or OE = store house or cottage

    Hitherbrook Furlong In Nether Woe Field Furlong = the length of furrow that the plough took before the oxen had to stop, theoretically a square of 10 acres. From the 9th century this was standardised at 220 yards. The term was also applied to a rectangular block of parallel strips within an open field, each block identified by name.
    The Great Furlong In Colman Field
    Long Furlong In Over Woe Field
    Farbrook Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Big Furlong Highfield Estate, Furlong Lane
    Little Furlong In Colman Field
    Match Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Lutlee Gutter Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Shutlands (Strutlands) Talbot Street,Furlong Lane Blocks of strips within the open field.
    Upper/Lower Doles

    Crooked Doles

    Homer Hill

    In Nether Woe Field

    Common meadow and hay land allocated to the tenants of open fields. OE dal = shared
    Ninelands Slade Road,Homer Hill Nine strips of land within the open field.
    The Butts

    Headland

    In Nether Woe Field Headlands of the open field system which often formed winding routes between fields. As these fields were held in common, they were gradually established as rights of way.

    2. Boundaries

    Field Name Location Derivation
    The Meres Both sides of Foxcote Lane OE maere = boundary land
    Skirts/Smock Skirts In Over Woe Field Smock = Land on which the rendering of tithe wood was replaced by the payment of money
    Far Piece Near the boundary at The Hayes
    Far Inhedge In Over Woe Field

    3. Size of Field

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Dogtree Acre Furlong In Nether Woe Field Acre was originally used to signify a piece of land cleared for ploughing or grazing of no fixed size. Later it became defined as a strip of an open field sufficiently large to be ploughed by a yoke of oxen in a day.
    Big Inhedge In Over Woe Field
    Pingle Numerous places ME pingel = a small piece of land
    Pleck Numerous places ME plek = a small plot of land.

    4. Order

    Middle Meadow Mogul Lane
    Over Sling Highfield Land beyond the Sling
    First, Middle and Far Smithy Croft Lyde Green, Maypole Hill Land near a forge (in this case Cradley Forge)

    5. Shape

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Round Innage (or Inhedge) Oldnall Innage = land taken in and enclosed
    Long Innage 2 Fields bear this name, one in Over Woefield, the other between Park Road and Homer Hill
    Broad Innage In Over Woefield
    Long Meadow Netherend
    Sling Numerous places ME sling = small narrow strip of land
    Three cornered close Barrack Lane/Park Road
    Roundabout Park Lane Church A piece of land surrounded by roads

    6. Soil

    Field Name Location Derivation
    The Rough Near Cradley Forge
    Stone Piece/Stoney Close Between Maypole Hill and Mogul Lane,next to the Stour Stony soil
    Dirty Piece Toys Lane/Windmill Hill Muddy land
    Copy Marling Between Park Lane & boundary Coppice where marl was spread or dug
    Marl Pit Bank

    Marl Pit Inhedge Marl Pit Hill

    The area bounded by Toys Lane,Windmill Hill and Two Gates Lane. Practise of spreading marl and manure on fields was of prehistoric origin. Marl was a mixture of clay and lime used by Romans to improve fertility of acidic soil. Marl pits were dug by Saxons and then continued from Mediaeval period
    Paradise Two Gates Fertile, profitable soil.

    7. Natural Features

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Slade Piece Colley Lane school field/Slade Road Dell, hollow, basin on side of hill, side valley

    OE slaed = valley

    Hilly Leasow Homer Hill Pasture, enclosed land on a hill, difficult to plough.
    The Hill Homer Hill
    Hollow Meadow Homer Hill
    Bank Leys Homer Hill ME banke = Slope or embankment
    The Moors Oldnall OE mor = uncultivated land. Not just upland, but fen and marsh.
    Hays Dingle At parish boundary in the vicinity of James Scott Road ME dingle = A deep hollow.

    OE gehaeg = Hedges

    The Folly 2 areas bear this name. First on either side of Oldnall Road near the junction with Foxcote Lane,the second is between Maypole Hill and Mogul Lane,known as Folly Moor Shelter for travellers in inhospitable landscapes on ancient route system.

    French feuille = foliage

    Deanford At bottom of Mogul Lane near the Stour Crossing place over a river, in a valley.

    The origin of this name - deonflinc ford is first found in the Anglo Saxon charter of 952 that set the boundary between Cradley and Oldswinford.

    Hollow Close Oldnall
    Bath Field Belle Vale/Colman Hill OE baeo = Pond
    Lyde Llio = place on a concave slope. Lyde Green slopes steeply from Homer Hill to River Stour.
    Upper/Lower Hanging Inhedge

    Hanging Close

    Top of Talbot Street/Spring Street

    Homer Hill/Park Lane

    Hanging = Land on a steep slope
    Siden meadow Butcher's Lane/River Stour Land at the side of a stream

    8. Roads

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Holloway Piece (Leasowe) Drews Holloway south A sunken track, usually on sloping ground, worn into soft rock by constant passage of cattle and traffic such as wagons and pack horses.
    Causeway Innage Junction of Foxcote Lane and Oldnall Road A raised road in wet ground. A path of timber, stones or earth. Date from Neolithic to present day. Many were constructed in middle ages by the monasteries.
    Church Highway Highfield/Furlong Lane The 1782 survey and the 1800 map both contain this field name, but the Tithe Map refers to the field as Walk Leasowe. As there was no church in Cradley at this time, it is assumed that this was the route from Cradley Town to Halesowen Church.
    Highway Hill Croft Homer Hill
    Road Close Homer Hill

    9. Flora

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Broomy Hayes Beecher Road East Land where broom grew. Hayes = enclosed by hedges
    Gorsy (Gosty) Hill Beecher Road East Land where gorse grew
    Silver Innage

    Silver Acre

    Homer Hill/Slade Road Latin Silva = wood
    Stockhold/Stockall Park Lane Land with tree stumps left standing in it.

    OE stocc

    Osier Bed Alongside the Stour near Cradley Forge Osier willows (salix vinilalis) were grown besides streams and marshes. Its thin stems were used for basket-making.
    Pineapple Piece Highfield Land where pine trees grew?

    10. Crops

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Wheat Croft Oldnall
    Wheat Field Park Lane
    The Rickyard Oakley Memorial Gardens Field where ricks/stacks of hay were built.
    Rick Close Colman Hill
    Rick Innage Homer Hill
    Flaxen Well Talbot Street/Spring Street Flax was widely cultivated from medieval times and declined considerably just before the beginning of the C19 th It was cultivated for the seeds and fibres of its stems that were made into thread and woven into linen fabric. It was often grown on small parcels of ground known as plecks.
    The Linnards Cradley Town Land on which flax was grown. OE lin.

    11. Domestic/Farm Animals

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Bullocks Innage Lutley Gutter near Water Stile
    Bull Acre Drews Holloway/Dencil Close
    Calves Close 2 Field bear this name. One near to Oldnall Farm, the other in the area of Drews Holloway/Dencil Close
    Ox Leasow Homer Hill
    Fold Piece Lyde Green/Hillcrest Avenue
    The Paddock Butchers Lane/The Stour Grazing ground
    Paddock Leasow Oldnall
    Lamb Pleck Near Maypole Hill
    Pinfold Meadow Bridge Street/Mill Street Land where stray animals were impounded
    Horse Pasture Tanhouse Lane

    12. Cradley Park

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Lower & Upper Park Cradley Park was created around 1275 by Roger de Somery, Lord of the Manor. It would have been enclosed by ditches and a wooden palisade and used to breed deer, which would later be released on to Pensnett Chase for hunting. By the 18th century it had become dense woodland.
    Park Piece
    Park Close
    Park Meadow

    13. Buildings

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Mill Fields Shelton Lane Shelton Mill was by the river at bottom of Shelton Lane
    Mill Croft Homer Hill Some maps show a windmill on Homer Hill
    Mill Meadow Boundary at Overend/Rowley This is the site of Cradley Mill, first mentioned in 1179. It appears on later maps as Hedgers Mill
    Windmill Close Two Gates Lane Two Windmills were situated in what is now Two Gates Lane. Both erected C1770 by Thomas Millward of Wollescote Hall
    Chapel Meadow Chapel House Lane According to tradition dating back before 1754, an ancient chapel stood in this vicinity.
    Chapel Yard Close Chapel House Lane
    Barn Piece Park Lane
    Barn Close Various places
    Shop Close Oldnall OE sceoppa = shed
    Alms House Close Junction of Furlong Lane/Butchers Lane Trustees for the Poor of Cradley erected four almshouses in 1711
    Wainhouse Close Chapel House Lane/Colley Gate
    House Meadow Netherend
    Home Close Homer Hill
    Stable Croft Colman Hill/Banners Lane

    14. Industrial

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Brick Kiln Two sites, on either side of Windmill Hill at the junction with Furlong Lane & Toys Lane Where brick making took place (see note 1)
    Coppice (Copy) Numerous (see note 2)
    Coalpit Field Between Mogul Lane & boundary Due to the presence of coal on or near the surface.

    15. Identity of Owner/Tenant

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cox's Innage Clent View Road
    Grove's Field In Over Woefield
    Amphlett's Innage Clent View Road
    Paston's Innage Colman Hill/Highfield
    Hunt's Innage In Over Woefield
    Downing's Innage High Park Road
    Read's Meadow Chapel House Lane
    Mason's Close Near Mason's Close!
    Darby's Hill Maypole Hill
    Smart's Meadow Lyde Green/River Stour
    Tibbott's Close Near Middletree Road
    Burley's Close Cradley Town
    Jones's Close Cradley Town
    Butler 's Close Cradley Town
    Bridgewater 's Piece Banners Lane
    Wilkin's Croft Banners Lane
    Bloomer's Inhedge Banners Lane
    Pearsall's Piece Lutley Gutter
    Dicks's Inhedge In Nether Woefield
    Stevens' Piece In Nether Woefield
    Welchman's Acre In Nether Woefield
    Ridding's Close Colley Gate Ridding (OE ryding) = cleared land
    Pitt's Close Toys Lane
    Skelding's Close Toys Lane
    Dalton 's Close Colley Gate
    Millar's Close In Colman Field
    Banner's Piece Banners Lane
    Forest Meadow Near Cradley Park
    Coalbourne Close Park Road/Barracks Lane

    16. Miscellaneous

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cockshutts Homer Hill OE coccscyte = a woodland clearing where birds were trapped in a net as they flew through the glade
    Paled Inhedge Maple Tree Lane/Colley Lane Land enclosed by a paled fence.
    Broody Croft Park Lane/Homer Hill Possibly a site of a disaster or a place where animals were slaughtered. Tithe Map name = Bloody Croft
    Dansel Gap Dencil Close
    Long Compton In Over Woefield
    New Innage Oldnall Road
    The Wardens James Scott Road/Bassett Road OE wordign =Enclosed land.
    Foxen Dean Foxcote Lane The origin of this name - Foxcotum (Fox Cottages) is first found in the Anglo Saxon charter of 952 that set the boundary between Cradley and Oldswinford.
    Fatherless Piece In Nether Woefield Note that the land had this name before any buildings were erected on it.
    York Meadow Between Park Lane and the parish boundary
    Fordraft
    Green Close Oldnall Road
    Oldnall Gate Close Oldnall Road at parish boundary Oldnall Gate is a marker in the extent of Oldswinford parish 1733

    Field and place names give a valuable insight into Cradley's past. Using the information provided in the 1782 and 1785 surveys, together with the Richard Brettell's Estates Map (circa 1800) and the Tithe Map of 1843, Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt have produced tables which identify Cradley field names, their derivation and their location in present day terms.

    Cradley Links wishes to record our sincere thanks to Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt for their generous permission to reproduce these excerpts from their book, "The History of Cradley: A Survey of Cradley and the Enclosure Book".

    Classified Index of Cradley Field Names

    • Open Field System
    • Boundaries
    • Size of Field
    • Order
    • Shape
    • Soil
    • Natural Features
    • Roads
    • Flora
    • Crops
    • Domestic/Farm Animals
    • Cradley Park
    • Buildings
    • Industrial
    • Identity of Owner/Tenant
    • Miscellaneous

    1. Open Field System

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cradley Upper /Over (Woe) Field Oldnall Road, Foxcote Lane, Parish Boundary Part of the medieval open field system.

    Woe (or Woo) derives from the Old English 'woh' = crooked

    Cradley Lower/Nether (Woe) Field Foxcote Lane,Two Gates, Lutley Gutter Earliest reference to Nether Woefield is in an indenture between the Earl of Ormond and Thomas Parkes of Cradley, dated 1510.
    Colman Field Two Gates, Drews Holloway, Colman Hill Part of the medieval open field system.
    Burfield Colley Lane,Slade Road Part of the medieval open field system.

    Burr = Flower head with hooks and prickles. Or OE = store house or cottage

    Hitherbrook Furlong In Nether Woe Field Furlong = the length of furrow that the plough took before the oxen had to stop, theoretically a square of 10 acres. From the 9th century this was standardised at 220 yards. The term was also applied to a rectangular block of parallel strips within an open field, each block identified by name.
    The Great Furlong In Colman Field
    Long Furlong In Over Woe Field
    Farbrook Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Big Furlong Highfield Estate, Furlong Lane
    Little Furlong In Colman Field
    Match Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Lutlee Gutter Furlong In Nether Woe Field
    Shutlands (Strutlands) Talbot Street,Furlong Lane Blocks of strips within the open field.
    Upper/Lower Doles

    Crooked Doles

    Homer Hill

    In Nether Woe Field

    Common meadow and hay land allocated to the tenants of open fields. OE dal = shared
    Ninelands Slade Road,Homer Hill Nine strips of land within the open field.
    The Butts

    Headland

    In Nether Woe Field Headlands of the open field system which often formed winding routes between fields. As these fields were held in common, they were gradually established as rights of way.

    2. Boundaries

    Field Name Location Derivation
    The Meres Both sides of Foxcote Lane OE maere = boundary land
    Skirts/Smock Skirts In Over Woe Field Smock = Land on which the rendering of tithe wood was replaced by the payment of money
    Far Piece Near the boundary at The Hayes
    Far Inhedge In Over Woe Field

    3. Size of Field

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Dogtree Acre Furlong In Nether Woe Field Acre was originally used to signify a piece of land cleared for ploughing or grazing of no fixed size. Later it became defined as a strip of an open field sufficiently large to be ploughed by a yoke of oxen in a day.
    Big Inhedge In Over Woe Field
    Pingle Numerous places ME pingel = a small piece of land
    Pleck Numerous places ME plek = a small plot of land.

    4. Order

    Middle Meadow Mogul Lane
    Over Sling Highfield Land beyond the Sling
    First, Middle and Far Smithy Croft Lyde Green, Maypole Hill Land near a forge (in this case Cradley Forge)

    5. Shape

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Round Innage (or Inhedge) Oldnall Innage = land taken in and enclosed
    Long Innage 2 Fields bear this name, one in Over Woefield, the other between Park Road and Homer Hill
    Broad Innage In Over Woefield
    Long Meadow Netherend
    Sling Numerous places ME sling = small narrow strip of land
    Three cornered close Barrack Lane/Park Road
    Roundabout Park Lane Church A piece of land surrounded by roads

    6. Soil

    Field Name Location Derivation
    The Rough Near Cradley Forge
    Stone Piece/Stoney Close Between Maypole Hill and Mogul Lane,next to the Stour Stony soil
    Dirty Piece Toys Lane/Windmill Hill Muddy land
    Copy Marling Between Park Lane & boundary Coppice where marl was spread or dug
    Marl Pit Bank

    Marl Pit Inhedge Marl Pit Hill

    The area bounded by Toys Lane,Windmill Hill and Two Gates Lane. Practise of spreading marl and manure on fields was of prehistoric origin. Marl was a mixture of clay and lime used by Romans to improve fertility of acidic soil. Marl pits were dug by Saxons and then continued from Mediaeval period
    Paradise Two Gates Fertile, profitable soil.

    7. Natural Features

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Slade Piece Colley Lane school field/Slade Road Dell, hollow, basin on side of hill, side valley

    OE slaed = valley

    Hilly Leasow Homer Hill Pasture, enclosed land on a hill, difficult to plough.
    The Hill Homer Hill
    Hollow Meadow Homer Hill
    Bank Leys Homer Hill ME banke = Slope or embankment
    The Moors Oldnall OE mor = uncultivated land. Not just upland, but fen and marsh.
    Hays Dingle At parish boundary in the vicinity of James Scott Road ME dingle = A deep hollow.

    OE gehaeg = Hedges

    The Folly 2 areas bear this name. First on either side of Oldnall Road near the junction with Foxcote Lane,the second is between Maypole Hill and Mogul Lane,known as Folly Moor Shelter for travellers in inhospitable landscapes on ancient route system.

    French feuille = foliage

    Deanford At bottom of Mogul Lane near the Stour Crossing place over a river, in a valley.

    The origin of this name - deonflinc ford is first found in the Anglo Saxon charter of 952 that set the boundary between Cradley and Oldswinford.

    Hollow Close Oldnall
    Bath Field Belle Vale/Colman Hill OE baeo = Pond
    Lyde Llio = place on a concave slope. Lyde Green slopes steeply from Homer Hill to River Stour.
    Upper/Lower Hanging Inhedge

    Hanging Close

    Top of Talbot Street/Spring Street

    Homer Hill/Park Lane

    Hanging = Land on a steep slope
    Siden meadow Butcher's Lane/River Stour Land at the side of a stream

    8. Roads

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Holloway Piece (Leasowe) Drews Holloway south A sunken track, usually on sloping ground, worn into soft rock by constant passage of cattle and traffic such as wagons and pack horses.
    Causeway Innage Junction of Foxcote Lane and Oldnall Road A raised road in wet ground. A path of timber, stones or earth. Date from Neolithic to present day. Many were constructed in middle ages by the monasteries.
    Church Highway Highfield/Furlong Lane The 1782 survey and the 1800 map both contain this field name, but the Tithe Map refers to the field as Walk Leasowe. As there was no church in Cradley at this time, it is assumed that this was the route from Cradley Town to Halesowen Church.
    Highway Hill Croft Homer Hill
    Road Close Homer Hill

    9. Flora

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Broomy Hayes Beecher Road East Land where broom grew. Hayes = enclosed by hedges
    Gorsy (Gosty) Hill Beecher Road East Land where gorse grew
    Silver Innage

    Silver Acre

    Homer Hill/Slade Road Latin Silva = wood
    Stockhold/Stockall Park Lane Land with tree stumps left standing in it.

    OE stocc

    Osier Bed Alongside the Stour near Cradley Forge Osier willows (salix vinilalis) were grown besides streams and marshes. Its thin stems were used for basket-making.
    Pineapple Piece Highfield Land where pine trees grew?

    10. Crops

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Wheat Croft Oldnall
    Wheat Field Park Lane
    The Rickyard Oakley Memorial Gardens Field where ricks/stacks of hay were built.
    Rick Close Colman Hill
    Rick Innage Homer Hill
    Flaxen Well Talbot Street/Spring Street Flax was widely cultivated from medieval times and declined considerably just before the beginning of the C19 th It was cultivated for the seeds and fibres of its stems that were made into thread and woven into linen fabric. It was often grown on small parcels of ground known as plecks.
    The Linnards Cradley Town Land on which flax was grown. OE lin.

    11. Domestic/Farm Animals

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Bullocks Innage Lutley Gutter near Water Stile
    Bull Acre Drews Holloway/Dencil Close
    Calves Close 2 Field bear this name. One near to Oldnall Farm, the other in the area of Drews Holloway/Dencil Close
    Ox Leasow Homer Hill
    Fold Piece Lyde Green/Hillcrest Avenue
    The Paddock Butchers Lane/The Stour Grazing ground
    Paddock Leasow Oldnall
    Lamb Pleck Near Maypole Hill
    Pinfold Meadow Bridge Street/Mill Street Land where stray animals were impounded
    Horse Pasture Tanhouse Lane

    12. Cradley Park

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Lower & Upper Park Cradley Park was created around 1275 by Roger de Somery, Lord of the Manor. It would have been enclosed by ditches and a wooden palisade and used to breed deer, which would later be released on to Pensnett Chase for hunting. By the 18th century it had become dense woodland.
    Park Piece
    Park Close
    Park Meadow

    13. Buildings

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Mill Fields Shelton Lane Shelton Mill was by the river at bottom of Shelton Lane
    Mill Croft Homer Hill Some maps show a windmill on Homer Hill
    Mill Meadow Boundary at Overend/Rowley This is the site of Cradley Mill, first mentioned in 1179. It appears on later maps as Hedgers Mill
    Windmill Close Two Gates Lane Two Windmills were situated in what is now Two Gates Lane. Both erected C1770 by Thomas Millward of Wollescote Hall
    Chapel Meadow Chapel House Lane According to tradition dating back before 1754, an ancient chapel stood in this vicinity.
    Chapel Yard Close Chapel House Lane
    Barn Piece Park Lane
    Barn Close Various places
    Shop Close Oldnall OE sceoppa = shed
    Alms House Close Junction of Furlong Lane/Butchers Lane Trustees for the Poor of Cradley erected four almshouses in 1711
    Wainhouse Close Chapel House Lane/Colley Gate
    House Meadow Netherend
    Home Close Homer Hill
    Stable Croft Colman Hill/Banners Lane

    14. Industrial

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Brick Kiln Two sites, on either side of Windmill Hill at the junction with Furlong Lane & Toys Lane Where brick making took place (see note 1)
    Coppice (Copy) Numerous (see note 2)
    Coalpit Field Between Mogul Lane & boundary Due to the presence of coal on or near the surface.

    15. Identity of Owner/Tenant

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cox's Innage Clent View Road
    Grove's Field In Over Woefield
    Amphlett's Innage Clent View Road
    Paston's Innage Colman Hill/Highfield
    Hunt's Innage In Over Woefield
    Downing's Innage High Park Road
    Read's Meadow Chapel House Lane
    Mason's Close Near Mason's Close!
    Darby's Hill Maypole Hill
    Smart's Meadow Lyde Green/River Stour
    Tibbott's Close Near Middletree Road
    Burley's Close Cradley Town
    Jones's Close Cradley Town
    Butler 's Close Cradley Town
    Bridgewater 's Piece Banners Lane
    Wilkin's Croft Banners Lane
    Bloomer's Inhedge Banners Lane
    Pearsall's Piece Lutley Gutter
    Dicks's Inhedge In Nether Woefield
    Stevens' Piece In Nether Woefield
    Welchman's Acre In Nether Woefield
    Ridding's Close Colley Gate Ridding (OE ryding) = cleared land
    Pitt's Close Toys Lane
    Skelding's Close Toys Lane
    Dalton 's Close Colley Gate
    Millar's Close In Colman Field
    Banner's Piece Banners Lane
    Forest Meadow Near Cradley Park
    Coalbourne Close Park Road/Barracks Lane

    16. Miscellaneous

    Field Name Location Derivation
    Cockshutts Homer Hill OE coccscyte = a woodland clearing where birds were trapped in a net as they flew through the glade
    Paled Inhedge Maple Tree Lane/Colley Lane Land enclosed by a paled fence.
    Broody Croft Park Lane/Homer Hill Possibly a site of a disaster or a place where animals were slaughtered. Tithe Map name = Bloody Croft
    Dansel Gap Dencil Close
    Long Compton In Over Woefield
    New Innage Oldnall Road
    The Wardens James Scott Road/Bassett Road OE wordign =Enclosed land.
    Foxen Dean Foxcote Lane The origin of this name - Foxcotum (Fox Cottages) is first found in the Anglo Saxon charter of 952 that set the boundary between Cradley and Oldswinford.
    Fatherless Piece In Nether Woefield Note that the land had this name before any buildings were erected on it.
    York Meadow Between Park Lane and the parish boundary
    Fordraft
    Green Close Oldnall Road
    Oldnall Gate Close Oldnall Road at parish boundary Oldnall Gate is a marker in the extent of Oldswinford parish 1733

    Notes


    Brick-making (Note 1)


    After clay was excavated from the ground it was 'puddled' to remove unwanted material and provide an even consistency. It was then moulded into its required form using a wooden mould and dried to reduce shrinkage. Final burning took place in a clamp in which bricks were stacked together with faggots of brushwood as fuel. This method gave unevenness in size and colour until it was replaced by burning in kilns in which bricks were stacked to allow the passage of hot air between them. Firing took about 48 hours.

    Few buildings were built in Britain with brick before the 17th C., despite the advantages of baking bricks on site or using local kilns, as opposed to quarrying, dressing and transporting stone.

    Coppice (Note 2)


    The term is now used to describe any small area of woodland, but coppicing was a technical term applied to tree cultivation. Deciduous tree species produce a mass of shoots when cut. They grow into straight stems, increasing annually in height and thickness and can be harvested at regular intervals. The ancient craft of coppicing dates from the Neolithic period. It was a major industry, supplying fuel and building materials, besoms, hurdles, handles and hay-rakes, wattles, laths, thatching spars, cogwheels and spindles. Trees were coppiced by rotation.


    © Copyright 2002 Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt.

    Reproduced with permission.

    Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.
    Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.