Bentley's "History, Guide and Alphabetical Classified Directory of Stourbridge" includes a particularly good treatment of Cradley.
Cradley Links wishes to record our sincere thanks to Mr Rod Neep of The Archive CD Books Project for his generous permission to reproduce this directory excerpt and the associated scans.
The Archive CD Books Project exists to make reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians, and to co-operate with libraries, museums and record offices in providing money to renovate old books in their collection.
We can highly recommend the products of The Archive CD Books Project for anyone interested in historical documents which are in many cases unavailable from any other source.
Is a populous Village in the chapelry of the same name, belonging to the parish of Halesowen, which is an isolated portion of Shropshire. The village is 2 1/2 mile E. of Stourbridge, and 2 N.E. of Halesowen, and consists mostly of irregularly built cottages, and a few shops and respectable houses. The township contains about 700 acres, and in 1831 the population was 2,202, but is much increased since that time.
The land seems well cultivated, but the principal part of the inhabitants are employed in making nails, traces, anvils, gun barrels, and many other articles of iron and steel to a great extent; and there are mines of coal in the neighbourhood, but of inferior quality. An attempt was made some time ago to manufacture salt here, but without adequate success.
The CHAPEL-OF-EASE, or CHURCH, was erected in 1789, containing seats for 600, with galleries on three sides; and a neat organ was added in 1793, by voluntary contributions. The church is situated full 1 mile N.W. from Halesowen on the brow of a commanding hill, from whch may be seen a fruitful and extensive landscape. The living is a perpetual curacy in the joint patronage of certain trustees, in whom also is vested the lay impropriation, net income £160.; and the present curate is the Rev. John Jones, M.A. There were several small charities belonging to the township, but most of them are lost. The roof, ceiling and other parts of the church being much dilapidated, underwent a thorough repair in 1824-5, by subscription and voluntary contribution. Service commences every Sabbath at half-past 10 morning, and half-past 2 afternoon; and every Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock. There are National and Sunday Schools attached to the church.
BAPTIST'S CHAPEL was erected in 1803, containing sittings for 350, and the Rev. William Davies is the officiating minister. Service commences on Sunday at 1/2 past 10 morning, 1/4 before 3 afternoon, and 6 evening. There is a Sunday School attached, erected in 1830.
METHODIST (WESLEYAN) CHAPEL is situated in the N.W. part of the township, and is a neat brick edifice, with sittings for 300; it was erected in 1826, but from the increased attendance it is expected to be rebuilt shortly on an enlarged plan, on the present site. Service every Sunday at 1/2 past 10 in the morning, 1/2 past 2 in the afternoon, and 6 in the evening, and there is a Sunday School behind the Chapel.
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, in Park-lane, Weather-end, was erected by subscription, (T. Pargeter, Esq, of Foxcote, gave £100) in 1796, about a quarter of a mile W. from Cradley Church. It is approached by a gateway, and a few trees shading the entrance, gives it a neat appearance. There is a burial ground, parsonage house, and two fields belonging to it, and a free school for 30 boys and 12 girls. There are also several charities belonging to the chapel. Service commences every Sunday at 11 morning, and 3 in the afternoon. The Rev. William Bowen, of Chapel-house, officiates.
In Cradley is Noah Hingley's manufactory for chains, cables, anchors, anvils, &c. erected in 1839, and employing about 300 hands.
Adams Henry, victualler, Windmill, Colly Gate
Allchurch Thomas, miller, Colly Gate
Attwood James, butcher, Two-lanes-end
Attwood Joseph, farmer, butcher &c.
Bache Noah, gardener, Old Two Gates
Badger Richard, Farmer
Beasley Benjamin, victualler, Sun ; and gun-barrel maker, Overend
Beasley John, sword-blade forger and victualler, Blue Ball
Beasley Joseph, butcher
Beasley William, butcher, Colly Gate
Beasley William, butcher
Bennett William, tailor,Colly Gate
Best Mr. William Henry, Windmill-Hill
Billingham Joseph, schoolmaster, Park-lane
Bishop Thos., druggist, grocer, &c.
Bloomer John, carpenter, Windmill-hill
Bloomer Joseph, victualler, Robin-Hood
Bloomer Mr. Thomas
Bourn Mr. William
Bowater Mr. James, Park-side
Bowen Rev. William, Chapel house
Brettell James, bricklayer, Netherend
Brettell John, bricklayer
Brettell Samuel, bricklayer &c Old Two Gates
Camm Thomas, beerseller, &c.
Colden Susanna, beerseller, Park-row
Cooper John, plumber, glazier, &c. Park-row
Cox James, gardener, Old Two Gates
Cox Timothy, chain and trace maker, Old Two Gates
Cox William, nail-factor and beerseller
Davies Rev. William
Downing John, millwright, Colly-Gate
Edmonds Mr Ingley, Colly Gate
Edwards Henry, maltster, Park-Row
Edwards Richard, steel manufacturer, Homer-hill
Edwards Mr William Evan, Old Two Gates
Evers Henry, stock-taker, Netherend
Evers Samuel, iron manufacturer, Netherend
Fellows Joseph, miller
Fellows Thomas, chain manufacterer and victualler, Mogul, Netherend
Forrester Joseph, saddler
Forrest Noah, beerseller, Light green
Forrest S., bayonet-blade maker
Haddock John, painter and beerseller, Netherend
Hadley William, beerseller, Park-row
Harper Joseph, grocer
Harper Joseph, beerseller, Colly Gate
Harrison Benj., schoolmaster, National School
Harrison Elizabeth, victualler, Fish
Haslewood George Dowler, surgeon and registrar of births and deaths for the Halesowen District
Hawkswood James, farmer, Overend
Hawkswood Joseph, beerseller and farmer
Hawkswood William Herbert, beerseller
Hill Miss Elizabeth, Windmill-Hill
Hill Samuel, clerk
Hingley Noah, chain-cable, anchor, anvil, &c., manufacturer, Netherend
Hodgetts Moses, wool-dealer, Park-row
Holyoake Catherine, schoolmistress, National School
Homer Absalom, boot, &c., maker, Colly Gate
Homer Noah Cox, beerseller, boot, &c., maker, Colly-gate
Homer Sarah, letter-carrier, Park-row
Homer Thomas, beerseller
Horton Mr. William Henry
Jones Rev. John, M.A.
Johnson Levi, beerseller
Jones George, grocer, Park-row
Kenderick Daniel, sword-blade forger, Colly Gate
Lea Francis, farmer, Old Two Gates
Leonard Samuel, victualler, May Pole, Old Forge
Mason James, farmer, Over-end
Mason Saml., maltster, Netherend
Meredith Mrs Esther, Park-row
Mole Daniel, victualler & blacksmith, Colly Gate
National School, B. Harrison, master, E. Holyoake. mistress
Nicklin William, sword-blade forger, Colly Gate
Oliver William, malster, Netherend
Pargeter Thomas, nail manufacturer, Park-side
Parish Joseph, beerseller, Old Two Gates
Partridge Nr. Samuel, Netherend
Pearson James, beerseller, Old Two Gates
Petford Felix, draper and grocer
Priest James, beerseller
Reading Michael Pratt, relieving officer
Rock John, grocer and boot and shoemaker
Rock Mrs Mary, Colly Gate
Roper William, beerseller and farmer, Colly Gate
Shaw Henry, maltster, Netherend
Smith Samuel, grocer and druggist
Slocombe John, coal-merchant, Park-row
Southall Joseph, clerk, Old Two Gates
Southern Thomas, Colly Gate
Stevens Ed., farmer, Netherend
Tate Abel, victualler, British Arms, Overend
Talbot Mr John, Colly Gate
Tibbets Joseph, beerseller, Park row
Troman Mr. Daniel, Overend
Walker Stephen, beerseller, Light Green
Wallis James, tailor, seedsman, &c., Colly-gate
Unitarian Free school, Park-lane Joseph Billingham, master, Mary Billingham, mistress
Westwood Joseph, boarding and day school, Netherend
Wickes Gerard N, schoolmaster
Wood Thomas, chain-manufacturer, Colly Gate
Woodall Benjamin, iron-manufacturer, Lodge Forge
Wright Daniel, victualler and porter dealer, Holly Bush
Yorkshire Fire and Life Office, G. D. Haslewood, agent