The entry for Cradley in the 1854 Post Office directory has 70 individuals
CRADLEY, a very extensive and populous parish, formerly belonging to the borough of Halesowen, is situated 2½ miles east of Stourbridge, 3 south from Dudley, and 9½ from Birmingham. The town itself lies a little off the main road ; it is in the diocese of Worcester, and in the Hundred of Halfshire, Worcestershire archdeaconry, and deanery of Kidderminster, with a population, in 1851, of 3,383. It forms part of a populous, mercantile and manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in all its branches. From the increasing importance of this town a post-office receiving-house has been very recently established here. The soil in general is a rich clay, fertile in all kinds of grain, and excellent pasturage, and the lands on the north and west of NETHEREND (a part of the township of Cradley parish) abound with coal and ironstone. A court baron and a court-leet are held at Cradley, on the last Tuesday in October, at which the steward presides as judge, assisted by a jury of respectable inhabitants. Within the township are five places of worship, belonging respectively to the Church of England, benefice valued at £116 per annum, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Halesowen, the Unitarians, the Baptists, the Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists; attached to the fist is a National school, under the government inspection. That belonging to the Unitarians is supported partly by endowment and partly by an annual collection. The number of free boys is 30, of girls 12. The extensive ironworks of Messrs. Evers and Sons are in this district, and are engaged principally in the manufacture of superior qualities of iron, by the charcoal, or wood coal, process ; and Messrs. Noah Hingley and Sons are extensively engaged in the manufacturing of anchors, anvils, and chain and chain cables. There are likewise manufactures of sword blades, files, rasps, vices, anvils, hammers, nails, bayonets, anchors, chain cables, bellows, felt hats, fire bricks, hats and woollen yarn. Ironstone and cement works are extensively carried on at the Hayes, Messrs. George Atwood and Sons, proprietors. One mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic vale, agreeably diversified with plantations of firs, is a spring of salt water, called the Lady Well, highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities. In the summer it is very much frequented. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor. In 1852, a grant of land was made by the sons of the late Rev. George Biggs (a former vicar of the parish of Halesowen), for the enlargement of the burial ground of this parish.
NETHEREND, COLLEY GATE, OVEREND, and COLMAN HILL, are near the town.
GENTRY Bourne Mr. William, Park side
Cochrane Rev. William [Unitarian minister], Netherend
Evers Samuel, esq. Netherend
Hingley Mr. Noah, Colly gate
Homer Absalom Cox, esq. Colly gate ho
Horton Mr. William
Hyde Rev. Charles, B.A. [curate]
Simons Rev. C. W. M.A. [incumbent], the Hill
Swindell James Evers, esq. Park side
Wood, Mr. Thomas, Colly gate
Adams Jabez, 'British Arms', Overend
Attwood George & Sons, fire brick, iron stone & cement works, the Hays
Attwood James, butcher
Attwood William, butcher
Beasley John, 'Blue Ball'
Beasley Stephen, butcher
Bishop John, tanner, Park side
Bishop Thomas, grocer & druggist
Bissell Joseph, file & rasp mfr. Netherend
Bloomer John, carpenter, Park side
Bloomer Josiah, 'Robin Hood'
Bradshaw Ellis, relieving officer, Park si
Buffrey John, file & rasp manufacturer
Cemm Thomas, Bridge inn
Christopher William, shoemaker
Clewes Thos. shopkpr. & mop maker, Park si
Cooper William, beer retailer, Colly gate
Dawe Joseph, shopkeeper, Colly gate
Dayns William, 'Windmill'
Edwards William Evan, anvil, vice, hammer & nail manufacturer
Evers Samuel & Sons, iron manufactrs
Fellows Joseph, maltster & miller
Fellows Thos. 'Old Mogul', Netherend
Forrest Edwd. shopkpr, Windmill hill
Gill Daniel, butcher
Gill Daniel, shopkeeper
Grove David, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
Grove John Haden, grocer, Colly gate
Harper Joseph, beer retlr. Colly lane
Hawkeswood James, farmer, Overend
Hawkesworth Joseph, beer retailer
Hawkesworth William Herbert, 'Sun', & shopkeeper, Overend
Hill Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr Netherend
Hingley Noah & Sons, anvil, chain & anchor manufacturers
Hingley Mary (Mrs.), 'Swan'
Hodgetts Charles Rubey, hat manufacturer & woollen yarn spinnr. Park side
Homer Absalom Cox, agent to the Birmingham district fire office, Colly gate
Hughes Isaiah, 'Holly Bush'
Jackson Henry, bootmkr. Colly orchard
Jones Joseph, 'Fish'
Jones Mary (Mrs.) shopkeeper, Park si
Jones Thomas, butcher, Colly lane
Jones William, maltster, Netherend
King Joseph, fire brick maker
Leonard Samuel, 'May Pole'
Lester Thomas, maltster, Colly gate
Mole Frances (Mrs.), 'Colly Gate,' & blacksmith
Norbury John, beer retailer
Oliver William, beer retailer & farmer
Oxford Richd. boot & shoe ma. Colly gate
Parrish Henry, 'Old Two Gates'
Robson George, clock & watch maker
Rock Brothers, nail factors
Smith Samuel, grocer & druggist
Stevens John, chain manufr. Netherend
Williams Eliza (Mrs.) beer rtlr. Netherend
Wooldridge Sterbert, 'Holly Bush'
Wyer Samuel E. plumber, paintr. & glazr
Wythes Joseph, linendraper & grocer
Letters arrive from Stourbridge at 9 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m.
INSURANCE AGENT.- Birmingham District Fire, & Clerical & Medical, Mr. Absalom Cox Homer, Colly gate
Relieving Officer, Mr. Ellis Bradshaw, Park side
Parish Constables, Henry Adams, John Buffrey, & Thomas Allchurch Parkes
National, Mr. Rigg, master; Miss Chamberlain, mistress
Unitarian, Mr. Billingham, mastr.; Mrs. Billingham, mstrs
COACHES from Stourbridge to Birmingham, & back, daily, pass through